Monreal leaves Arsenal in permanent Real Sociedad switch

Nacho Monreal has left Arsenal after more than six seasons and signed a two-year deal with Real Sociedad.

The 33-year-old started each of the Premier League side s opening three fixtures but Unai Emery admitted his departure was possible following last weekend s 3-1 loss to Liverpool.

An experienced and versatile defender, Monreal moved to north London from Malaga in January 2013 and made 250 appearances in all competitions, scoring 10 goals.

Neither club has confirmed the transfer fee involved.

We would like to thank Nacho for his contribution to the club and everyone at Arsenal wishes him the best for his future, read a statement from the Gunners.

The transfer is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.

For six-and-a-half ye…

Mourinho one of the greats and has nothing to prove – Rodgers

Roma head coach Jose Mourinho is one of the greatest managers of his generation and has nothing to prove, according to Leicester City counterpart Brendan Rodgers.

Mourinho and Rodgers will come face-to-face on Thursday when Leicester host Roma for the first leg of their Europa Conference League semi-final.

The pair worked closely together when Rodgers was head of youth development at Chelsea during Mourinho s first spell in charge at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho s stock has fallen somewhat in recent years, with this his first trip to England since being sacked by Tottenham in April last year.

The Portuguese has since had a mixed time of things in charge of Roma, with the Europa Conference League his last realistic shot at success this season.

Despi…

Ancelotti denies Napoli players have turned against him amid winless streak

Napoli head coach Carlo Ancelotti denied his squad have turned against him after the club s winless streak extended to eight matches.

Sunday s shock 2-1 Serie A loss at home to Bologna left Napoli without a victory in all competitions since October 23.

The pressure is mounting on Ancelotti as Napoli – runners-up last term – languish seventh in Serie A, 17 points behind leaders Inter and eight adrift of the Champions League places.

Napoli s woes come amid internal problems, with owner Aurelio De Laurentiis looking to impose fines on players who deserted a recent training retreat.

 90+6 | It s all over.
  1-2

 

— Official SSC Napoli (@en_sscnapoli)

Speaking after Bologna attacker Nicola Sansone s 80th-minute goal condemne…

Crocked Coleman signs new Everton deal

Seamus Coleman has signed a new five-year deal at Everton despite being sidelined with a double fracture of his right leg.

The Republic of Ireland right-back sustained the injury following a bad challenge by Wales Neil Taylor in a World Cup qualifier in March and is unlikely to be fit for the start of next season.

Terms on his new contract were agreed prior to the 28-year-old leaving for international duty but Coleman revealed Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright got in touch within hours of the incident to reassure him that nothing had changed.

Coleman told the club s official website: I m delighted to get this signed. 

I want to prove my worth when I come back and show the club were right for rewarding me with this long-term contract.

I ve been he…

Lampard did not seek Kepa talks after blunder as Chelsea boss retains faith in keeper

Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard says he did not insist on a one-to-one conversation with Kepa Arrizabalaga after his latest error and still has faith in the Spain goalkeeper.

The Blues succumbed to a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle United on Saturday thanks to Isaac Hayden s winner deep into stoppage time.

Questions were once again asked of Kepa, as Hayden got a slight touch on Allan Saint-Maximin s delivery and, although it still appeared to be in the goalkeeper s path, he failed to react quickly enough to keep it out.

It was by no means the first mistake Kepa has made since joining from Athletic Bilbao in 2018 – he also struggled in a similar situation against Ajax this season in the Champions League.

Lampard is keen not to pile the pressure on the 25-year-o…

Inter & AC Milan want Xhaka

According to a recent report from Sky Germany, both Inter Milan and AC Milan are interested in the possibility of signing Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka. They are both interested in putting forward some kind of loan deal during the January transfer window, with the option to buy being included in that. 

Xhaka has been made a scapegoat over the course of the last few weeks at Arsenal, to the point where many fans want to see him leave the club. He has already been stripped of his role as captain after the manner in which he left the pitch against Crystal Palace, with some reports suggesting that he actually swore at the fans in attendance who were booing him. 

He’s certainly still regarded by many as one of Arsenal’s best midfielders, but the worry for Gunners f…

Arsenal want £20m for Wilshere

Arsenal have told West Ham United that they will need pay £20m for midfielder Jack Wilshere, according to Sky Sports.

The England international was recently subject to a £6m bid from Serie A side Sampdoria, though the Gunners value him much higher than that, and would also insist on a buy-back clause in any deal that would see him leave.

The twenty-five year old spent last season on loan with Bournemouth, where he racked up twenty-seven Premier League appearances.

He is set to face a tough battle for a starting spot should he remain with Arsene Wenger’s side, so a move away may his best option as he looks to prepare for next summer’s World Cup finals in Russia, assuming England qualify.

Wilshere has played one hundred and fifty-nine times for A…

Teenager Musetti stuns Wawrinka in Rome

Stan Wawrinka was dumped out of the Internazionali d Italia by Lorenzo Musetti the Italian teenager storming to a 6-0 7-6 (7-2) triumph.

Wawrinka endured a first-set ordeal against an opponent 17 years his junior, winning only seven points on his own serve as world number 249 Musetti converted three of four break points on offer.

The 2015 French Open champion then dropped serve once more in the opening game of the second set before finally getting on the board at 1-2 and breaking back to level things up at 3-3.

The 35-year-old was able to battle on to a tie-break but Musetti reeled off five straight points from 1-1 to pull clear decisively.

Remember the name: Lorenzo Musetti

The

Rafael & Fabio set to reunite

According to a recent report from France Football, Rafael da Silva is on the right track towards reuniting with his twin brother Fabio at French side Nantes. The two were last playing together back at Manchester United before Fabio went off to Cardiff, and now, it appears as if we’re getting closer and closer to seeing them together once again. 

Rafael is desperate to try and secure some first team football as he struggles to maintain a place in the starting XI with fellow French club Lyon. At the age of 29 they’re both at an important crossroads in their career, and Nantes seems to be the place that will offer them everything they need to succeed. 

The novelty of having them both together is one thing, but you’d also have to imagine that they will benefit great…

Marotta: Spalletti and Conte rumours unhelpful

Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta admitted rumours about Luciano Spalletti s future are not helpful as the Serie A side continue to be linked with Antonio Conte.

Despite third-placed Inter set for their best finish in the league since 2010-11, doubts remain over head coach Spalletti and whether he will continue in Milan next season.

According to reports, former Juventus, Italy and Chelsea boss Conte is set to replace Spalletti – who led Inter back into the Champions League last season.

Marotta, however, leapt to the defence of Spalletti prior to Monday s 2-0 Serie A victory against Chievo.

 | GALLERY

Look back on right here 

— Inter (@Inter_en)

The rumours about Spalletti s future aren t helpful, Marotta told Sky Spo…